In past years WYDAN successfully ran a Roving Night Shelter with the enthusiastic support of numerous religious and community groups. This means of supporting our client group became impracticable with the arrival of Covid 19 and consequent restrictions. Since March 2020 WYDAN have developed other models of accommodation provision in houses and a guest house where our Guests have safe single room accommodation which complies with all current guidelines.
In 2022 the opportunity to create a Static Night Shelter in partnership with the Leeds North & East Methodist Circuit, in a redundant building owned by the church in Leeds LS9. Work was carried out to create suitable single room accommodation for up to 10 male destitute asylum seekers and a ‘pilot’ winter night shelter was opened on 14th November 2022 and successfully operated through to end of April 2023, in which 1020 nights of accommodation were provided, together with meals, befriending, signposting and a weekly financial allowance to 24 separate individuals. Further work will be carried out to further improve the facility prior to re-opening in October for the 2023-24 winter.
“By providing essential safe, warm and reliable bed spaces the Night Shelter meets the most very basic needs of asylum seekers living in destitution. This means that energy which otherwise would have been spent on survival activities, such as finding somewhere to sleep and the next meal, is reserved for fighting their case and seeking specialist support to recover, build resilience and make informed decisions. Without the Night Shelter asylum seekers not in support are at risk of falling further into destitution and many will face devastating situations including trafficking and exploitation.”Ruth Devany
Night Shelter News
- Night Shelter Newsletter Spring 2021
- Night Shelter Newsletter January 2021
- Night Shelter update 5 June 2020
- WYDAN Night Shelter Update 3 April 2020
- WYDAN Shelter update
- Night Shelter Newsletter December 2019
- WYDAN Night Shelter at Newman Centre, Crossgates, Leeds
- WYDAN Shelter 2018-19
- WYDAN Shelter appeal and update
- Winter Shelter – Leeds 2017-18
- New Hosts and Volunteers needed!
- WYDAN Winter Shelter – Volunteering Opportunities
- Appeal for funds August 2016
- WYDAN winter shelter update 2016-2017
- WYDAN Winter Shelter – Testimonial by the British Red Cross
- Winter Shelter Report April 2016